Tips for creating your own art space at home:
- Set up somewhere with good lighting. Natural lighting is ideal.
- Make sure you have enough room to spread your supplies out and move around. Try not to keep your area too cluttered.
- Make sure you have good ventilation if you’re going to be working with certain mediums like oil paint and turpentine.
- The type of supplies you need depends on what kind of art you’re interested in making, but some basics to have include a set of graphite drawing pencils, color pencils, an inexpensive set of watercolors or acrylics, brushes, and paper or canvases to work on.
- For pencil and pen work, it’s best to use sketch or drawing paper. You can also use bristol or mixed media paper if you’re looking for a little heavier weight paper that can also handle mediums like markers, ink and brush pens. For wet mediums like watercolor and gouache you want to use heavy weight watercolor paper that can stand up to the water without buckling. Acrylic and oil paints work best on canvas or primed wood. You can choose between acrylic canvas paper, canvas board, stretched canvas and wood panels. All of these surfaces come in a variety of sizes so you have many options to choose from!